Today’s news is focused so much on statistics that paint marriage as on the decline with high divorce rates that one may feel doomed before he/she even has a chance to walk down the isle. Forget about statistics and listen, or even better, model those who have made it past 40 years and are truly HAPPY being married! No one said marriage would be easy, but there are some things you can do to make it less stressful, more enjoyable and something you look forward to every day you wake up!
- Change things up a bit. Overfamiliarity is the enemy of romance – engage in independent growth.
- Do not let resentments fester – healthy couples have a steady level of conflict over the years.
- Studies show couples who do different things together, are happier than those who fall into the same routines. Even if it’s a trip to Lowe’s or mulching the backyard – do some of those mundane things together and make them fun!
- Good couples tend to see their partner as their best friend. The one you want to contact first when something silly happens at work or when you just need an ear.
- Make “To-Do” last forever. Couples that are in it for the long haul no matter what – survive longer than those who go into marriage “trying.”
**Note: Of course like with anything else, there are exceptions and if you are in an un-healthy relationship, please seek professional help.
In honor of heart month and Valentine’s Day, CTM wanted to showcase married couples in the Omaha community who have been married longer than 40 years. We asked the couples to give us their TOP FIVE TIPS to a HAPPY & HEALTHY MARRIAGE. As you can see below, there is a common thread when it comes to friends, fighting and faith.